Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 12:00PM | | Email Article
Hosted by Eric McClintock, Co-Hosted by Cam [Forum Profile]. Listen Here: Subscribe to automatically get the latest podcast: iTunes, RSS XML, E-Mail, All Other.
Microsoft Closes ACES StudiosAs a part of Microsoft's 5,000 person layoff, they have announced that in their first round of 1,400 job cuts that ACES, the studio that develops the "Microsoft Flight Simulator" series, is deemed no longer necessary and would be shut down. Reports from various sources say that some employees were given 24 hour notice, and others were given 60 days to find another job in the company. Microsoft will leave only 6 employees at ACES, which is presumed to archive code, and serve out existing contracts. Other Information:
- Microsoft's Flight Simulator has been in development for 27 years, since 1982.
- 6 Employees left to archive code, they will work for ~6 months.
- 100,000 FS Fans Facebook Group [Link]
AVSim Looking for Tech ManagerNews Release from AVSim.com:
Are you an avid simmer? Do you know Linux - inside and out? Do you know MySQL and are conversant in building and maintaining databases? Do you work well under pressure? Do you have time? If so, this volunteer position may well be yours. AVSIM is looking for a tech guru who can run and manage our back end systems, who can take the pressure of managing servers that cater to millions of hits and serve tens of terabytes of information a month and whose reliability is of primary focus. This position sits at the heart of everything that AVSIM does. If you are imminently qualified to run a multiple server farm and can take the "heat" of the position, then we would like to talk with you. If you have the qualifications and the time, please send us an email to The AVSIM Board of Directors. Because of the sensitivity of this position, you will need to include at least three personal references.
AVSim FanCon 2009
- Will be held in Dayton, Ohio USA
- September 4th, 5th and 6th
- The FANCON venue will be adjacent to the Wright Patterson Air Force Base with easy access to the Aviation Museum.
- Registration for the Exhibition and Papers Sessions ONLY - $15.00
- Friday Night Social - $60.00
- Saturday Night Awards Banquet - $80.00
- The Whole Package; Social, Banquet and Exhibition / Papers Sessions - $145.00
- Exhibition + Friday Night Social - $75.00
- Exhibition + Saturday Night Banquet - $95.00
- Vendors: $800 for 8ft table, $1,000 for 16ft table.
A pilot's eye view of US Airways flight 1549 - Done in FSWatch: View the video from the BBC [Link]. In your mind, is Microsoft Flight Simulator a game, or a simulator? Tell us what you think.
Captain Sim 727 Pro PackPress release from Captain Sim:
The Pro Pack is a fully functional 727-100 aircraft with all systems, flight model etc. Those who purchased the Exterior 100 before will have a chance to purchase 727-100 Pro Pack for a 10 euro discount. Those who purchased 727-200 Exterior will also get 10 euro discount on the 727-200 Pro Line Exterior models once they get released.More about the Captain Sim 727 Pro Pack [Link]. What is your favorite FS addon? Tell us here. Thank you for listening to our first episode! Co Host Information Voicemail & Other Contact Info Just leave a comment (Bottom of Page)