X-Plane 9.30 Beta-2 for PC/Mac
- New engine model to handle the proper air density at critical altitudes.
- Auto-throttle PRESERVES the differences between various throttles in multi-engine airplanes.
Example: If you MANUALLY drag the throttles in a multi-engine plane to somewhat different settings, such as, for example, 10% more throttle on engine #1, and then engage the auto-throttle, engine #1 will continues to run at 10% higher throttle than the others.
- Rudder-pedal joystick-button/key-commands are back.
- New option in Plane-Maker: Auto-slats below a certain SPEED.
- Many other features, for more information and to download see X-Plane's website. [Link]
The reduced price of $39.99 for X-Plane has also been extended due to the recent news from Microsoft.
A summary of new features can also be found at this website. [Link]
X-Plane Extreme for iPhone/iPod Touch
X-Plane Extreme Edition has been released for the iPhone and iPod touch. This features a full simulation platform on your portable device, you can adjust your throttle, flaps, speed brake, etc. You also have the option to pick between 6 different regions, each with around 4 airports per region. You can also adjust the weather, time of day, and many other features. On the iTunes music store, Austin Meyer mentions that there may be a free update to allow for multiplayer flight.
- F-22 Raptor
- B-1 Lancer
- B-2 Spirit
- SR-71 Blackbird
iTunes Store Link. [Link]
What's next for Microsoft's Flight Sim partners?
- The register interviewed Scott Phillips of Just Flight [Link], and Steve Halpern of Flight One Software [Link].
- Both third party company's agree that for the time being, FSX is enough to develop for in the short term.
- However, Halpern calls for Microsoft to announce any news about the series final future in the coming months, so his company can make long term decisions.[POLL HERE]
To read the entire article from The Register, visit the page. [Link]
New Microsoft Job postings
New job posting from Microsoft [Link] :
Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Microsoft Game Studios is looking for a veteran Lead Program Manager/Producer to help lead the development of a new broad-attraction flight-oriented game on the PC.
And another [Link] :
Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users.
Read the article from SimFlight here. [Link]
Last Week's Poll: Do you think we will see MSFS11 released as a game on the xBox 360? The results were more than 5 to 1 NO:
Manhattan X for FSX Released
- Covers the entire Manhattan Island (East Side, West Side, Uptown and Downtown) plus Ellis Island, Governors Island, Roosevelt Island, Statue Island.
- Four heliports.
- Very high density scenery with hundreds of detailed buildings.
- Full FSX features using bump maps, advanced shading and reflections.
- Scheduled ship traffic (Staten Island Ferries).
- Many special effects included (like sounds, smoke, birds).
- Mission that lets you take a $199 helicopter tour of Manhattan.
- Professionally designed charts with all helicopter routes.
- Price: ~31.00 USD, EUR 27.95.
For more information, see Aerosoft's site [Link].
VRS Releases F/A-18E SP1
- Service Pack 1 addresses some minor issues encountered subsequent to release as well as some enhanced features and additional liveries.
- Current customers can update through their Aircraft Manager, or check the company's support site (Link in show notes) for a manual download.
- The company also mentions that a FSX version is in the works.
JustFlight releases World Airports 3 North America on DVD
- FSX and FS2004
- Included Airports: KATL, KCLT, KCVG, MYNN, TJSJ
- Price: £24.45 / €29.95 / $36.99.
More information here [Link].
Cam: Aircraft Viewer Background Bitmaps for FS2004. [Link]
Mark: FlightAware Flight Tracking. [Link]
Nicolás from Argentina has X-Plane Questions
Hi, I like a lot your program, but I would like to know if you can give a tip per podcast about the use of X-PLANE as it I have recently bought my first X-PLANE series, and due to the shut of ACES a lot of people is doing it and will do it.
Mark suggests fully calibrating your joystick before using X-Plane, and before starting a flight while on the ramp be sure to move your joystick or game pad to it's full range - Left/Right/Up/Down so X-Plane can properly determine the limits of your joystick.
Mickey from KLAS has a delima...
I enjoy the eye candy and some of the other advances made to it but unlike one of your guests on the show, I don't use the default aircraft at all. I get aircraft that are developed specifically for FSX and tested by real pilots (PMDG 747-400X, CaptainSim C-130X and the new Aerosoft F-16) these aircraft fly very similar to full-flight simulators, particularly the 744X.
Mickey also says:
- He likes FSX, but cannot run with his sliders all the way up.
- He was considering switching to X-Plane, but doesn't want to relearn all of the key commands.
- His other choice is to purchase a new high performance/low cost gaming PC to run FSX with max settings.
Benjamin asks - What about VA's?
Thank you for your excellent podcast! I have listened to both shows and can't wait for more! An idea for a future show: Virtual Airlines. I believe United Virtual is the largest and most prominent VA.
We're at a loss, what would you like to hear about VA's? Would you like to hear VA news, interviews, or nothing at all? Use the form on our contact page, email email@example.com, or call 513-201-5426.
Other Notes: Happy 20th Birthday to Dave. [Link]