Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 1:15AM | | Email Article
Hosted by Eric McClintock, Adam, Cam, & James. Listen Here: Subscribe to automatically get the latest podcast: iTunes, Zune, RSS XML, E-Mail, All Other.
Free MegaScenery Earth Download
- Pick and choose areas that you want photo scenery for.
- Prices for the scenery range from 1/4 cent to 1/2 cent per square mile.
- Most areas are between 1,200-2,000 Square miles, and are priced at $7.49.
- Approx. 1GB of scenery per area, available for instant download.
- Complete states are priced at around $120, and a 65GB download. (They do have a price to include a hard drive shipped with the scenery)
- City packs are also offered for $15-$30 per city.
- They currently have almost 300,000 Square Miles in 182 areas in the United States.
- They are adding new areas all of the time.
- The scenery is FSX Only, and displays at 1.19 meters per pixel.
- Each area includes day scenery and night scenery, and enhanced autogen scenery.
- They are offering one area free, "WA-004" which includes a 1,300 Square Mile area around Mt Rainier in the state of Washington.
- Free scenery is a 1.14GB download.
- As a special promotion they are offering the first area purchase for $2.99, instead of $7.49.
Air Hauler PreviewedAir Hauler is an automated program that allows you to manage all aspects of your own air cargo company, and fly the flights in FS2004 or FSX. Features:
- Airline startup options, you get a plane and a small amount of cash to grow on.
- Manage multiple companies as their own entity.
- Complete airline route, airport, and financial information.
- Each airline has a base, Air Hauler will import your custom airports from FS2004 or FSX.
- Each airport has a startup cost and a monthly lease.
- It is able to automatically suggest possible airport candidates to add to your inventory.
- Remembers where you left off your game progress. Even if in the middle of a flight and Flight Simulator is shut down, next time you start the game it will pick up where you left off.
- Fuel prices vary from region to region, airport to airport, and between different fuel types that your aircraft require. It also pulls the oil price from the internet to reflect the real world price of fuel.
- The program assigns jobs that need to be flown, and you are able to filter them and fly the ones you want tom and expire after 72 hours.
- You are able to adjust FS settings such as time and simulation rate without penalty.
- Aircraft limits are enforced. If your cargo is over weight you are not allowed to leave the airport. For a fee you may have the airport remove some fuel to make your aircraft lighter, and you are able to make stops for refueling, but careful flight planning is required!
- Any aircraft can be used, freeware an payware.
- However, aircraft must either be purchased or leased. The price depends on the condition of the plane.
- Loans can be taken out to lease or purchase assets, and there are different loans available with different terms and interest rates.
- Air Hauler even includes a stock market feature.
- You can use your company's cash to purchase shares of real world companies at current market prices that are downloaded from the internet.
- All costs are automatically determined from your flights and company. Including airport use fees, fuel, aircraft repairs, insurance, and loan fees.
- At a certain point in the game, you are able to hire on virtual staff.
- Pilot's skill levels differ, as do their salaries and efficiency.
- Complex flight planning can be used for the flights flown by you.
Tecnam P92 for X-PlaneThe P92 is an advanced microlight, two-seater (side by side), single strut braced, high wing aircraft. The aircraft's outstanding performance and flying qualities together with low operating costs and easy piloting and maintenance, make this aircraft an excellent solution for the flying schools. The Tecnam P92 for X-Plane includes three versions:
- JS (Certified Version)
- SeaSky (Float Plane).
Wideview V3.0 Now ReleasedWideView is a program that uses networked PC's to create multi-monitor views and virtual cockpits using Flight Simulator.
- Version 3.0 for FSX and Microsoft ESP.
- Completely redone weather synchronization interface.
- Adds custom camera to change view on all clients, and has improved support for Spot Plane view.
- Other preformance improvements and features.
JustFlight Constellation Professsional Screenshots AddedThe Constellation is one of the most graceful airliners ever to take to the air. With its streamlined and beautiful dolphin-shaped fuselage and triple-tail design, it cut a futuristic shape across the sky and set many "highest", "fastest" and "best" records - the L-1649A still holds the record for the longest-duration non-stop passenger flight, a remarkable 23 hours and 19 minutes covering almost five and a half thousand miles! All the models have been meticulously researched and are highly accurate renditions. As a result, the true character of the Constellation shape has been replicated and rewards the viewer from all angles. The profile of the early version and the bulk and noise of those primitive Pratt & Whitney engines come through loud and clear. No price has been announced yet, you can find more information and screenshots here. [Link] Screenshots: [nggallery id=5]
Vehicle Simulator BetaVehicle Simulator is a complete rewrite and redesign based upon Micro Flight and Virtual Sailor, resulting in a much denser scenery than before, excellent physical simulation, and scalable design allowing it to grow and contain more types of vehicles and objects. The greatest benefit of all is offering a single platform for content development for flight simulations, naval simulations, and land simulations. Vehicle Simulator includes a simple scenery design inside the 3D environment, making it much simpler for users to create and share content than before. Vehicle Flight Simulator 3.1 Beta has been released as a free download, and the final version will be available for purchase in the future. You can download your copy from their website. [Link] [nggallery id=6]
FSFlyingSchool2009 Version 2.1 ReleasedFSFlying school 2009 is a program which allows you to work with an instructor for flight training using Microsoft Flight Simulator. FSInventions announced a new version of its FSFlyingSchool2009 add-on for FSX and FS2004. Version 2.1 introduces new features which are free to existing owners of FSFlyingSchool2009. New features include:
- Sound Device Output Selection - Multiple sound device outputs can be used. For example use a headset for voice and speakers for game sound.
- Instructors Report Aircraft Failures - A great number of aircraft systems, instruments and switches can have a simulated failure when flying with FSFlyingSchool2009.
Poll ResultsWould you pay a monthly fee to play Flight Sim:
- 72% Say no, they will not pay a fee.
- 14% Say they will only pay a fee if the game comes free.
- 10% Say they would only pay a yearly fee, such as $50 per year.
- And only 4% say they would pay a monthly fee, such as $10 per month.
- 89% Say yes.
- 11% Say no.
PicksEric: FSEarth 5.0 [Link] Adam: Fork Truck Simulator [Link] James: VFR Real Scenery [Link] Cam: FSPassengers [Link]
2009 Rocky Mountain Rumble + Route SuggestionFrom Casey:
First off, I want to make sure you mention the 2009 Rocky Mountain Rumble. It is an annual event hosted by Denver ATRCC (vatsim based virtual denver center air traffic control organization). Anyway, it is Saturday February 28th 1100 to 2000 MST. It features KASE (Aspen-Pitkin County Airport), KCOS (Colorado Springs), and KDEN (Denver International). They, as well as many other surrounding airports will be fully staffed, something like 20 controllers. What’s cool about this event is that the controllers all get together in a single room (I believe in a convention center somewhere in Denver) and control from that central location. Additional information, preferred routing, and charts are available here. [Link] Next, I’d like to give some info for the route mentioned in Episode 4. If you choose to do a weekly route, the KDEN-KASE route is a great one to start with, KDEN-KASE.Casey also sent more route information: Airport info: KDEN – Denver International Airport (5431’ MSL) ATC: KZDV – Denver Center ARTCC Additional info: Cat III approaches and multiple 12,000’ runways available SIDs and STARS available KASE - Aspen-Pitkin County Airport/Sardy Field (7820' MSL) ATC: KZDV – Denver Center ARTCC Additional Info Single runway: 15/33 (takeoffs not normally permitted on RWY15) Aircraft wingspan limited to 95’ or less (you can get a B737-300 in there, but it isn’t recommended); see AirNav website for additional aircraft restrictions. Airport open 7am to 11pm Preferred Approach is the VOR/DME C All departing aircraft MUST depart on the SARDD or LINDZ departures. This airport is very difficult. One of the most challenging [commercial] airports in the Rockies. I strongly recommend it. ATC Preferred Route: ROCKI6.DBL | File FL180, MEA is 16,000 | Expect VOR/DME C approach to KASE Recommended Airplanes: Citations, Learjets, Embraer regional’s, dehaviland dash-8, and if you have it, it is a common destination for the Flight1 ATR 72-500 (be careful in smaller aircraft, at the 2007 rocky mountain rumble I got disconnected by administrators for trying to fly into KASE in a J-3 Cub, twice.) Additional info: This is a very enjoyable 30 to 45 minute flight that ends in a bang. That approach to Aspin is really nerve-wracking. It is great fun and will be one of the busiest airports at the Rocky Mountain Rumble, but I’d practice the approach before then! Better to make mistakes when no one else is around. Resources: http://simroutes.com/ http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDEN http://www.airnav.com/airport/KASE Send your route suggestions to us! Use the form on our contact page, email email@example.com, or call 513-201-5426.