FSX Tweak: Fix up your FSX Water for Free!
There are many programs out there to make your FSX's default water textures look good, such as payware programs like Real Environment Extreme or Flight Environment Extreme... But for simmers on a budget, you can make your water look a lot better with a freeware application called FS Water Configurator.
- Easy to use freeware program that lets you tweak how you want your water to look just by dragging sliders, no configuration files need to be tweaked!
- Comes with several presets, and you can tweak each setting such as water reflection, surface shine, and more.
- You can even make real time changes without having to restart FSX!
Carenado Debuts PA 28 RT 201 Arrow IV
On March 25th, 2009 Carenado has released one of the most successful and popular "T" tail aircraft: the PA28RT 201 ARROW IV for FSX.
This aircraft is full FSX and DX10 compatible with high resolution textures and a very friendly FPS performance. It takes advantage of all the FSX features like cast shadows on VC, external dynamic cast shadows, normal mapping, specular mapping and bloom lights. The new features of the aircraft include:
- External Dynamic Shadows and Internal Dynamic Shadows on the VC.
- Interactive Virtual Cockpit
- Full moving parts and animated sections such as the doors, co-pilot seat, etc.
- Other details such as antennas, chocks, even the baggage area.
- Full aircraft lights, and many additional features.
To add even more to the realism, the model also includes a full checklist, reference material about the flight dynamics, and a PDF manual of the Virtual cockpit. The PA28RT 201 Arrow IV from Carenado is only available for FSX, and retails for $27.95 USD.
Swiss VFR Airports Part 3
Explore five more highly detailed airfields in "Swiss VFR Airports Part 3". The product series “Swiss VFR Airports” is the brainchild of the developer of the famous Switzerland Professional X scenery.
An important aspect was to make the airfields and their immediate surroundings as realistic as possible and for this reason, photorealistic textures were used. Distinctive objects around the airfield were placed as an orientation guide. Each airport also fits seamlessly into the photo realistic scenery "Switzerland Professional X" thanks to the exact ground layout. The "Swiss VFR Airports Part 3" add-on is compatible with both FS 2004 and FSX.
Here are the airports included in that package:
- LSZL Locarno
- LSZS Samedan
- LSZE Bad Ragaz
- LSMF Mollis
- LSPA Amlikon
These 5 airports will run you 29.99 Euro Plus Shipping cost, and you can find them at SimMarket. [Link]
Vehicle Flight Simulator Released
Vehicle Simulator is a unique simulator, combining land, underwater, sea surface, air and low orbit environments into one, the program makes it possible to drive, fly, sail, dive, and go into space in one convincing simulation environment.
After more than two years of intensive development a new simulator called Vehicle Simulator finally released. The program excels especially as a flight simulator and as a naval simulator combining the powers of two previous simulators Micro Flight and Virtual Sailor into one, however the game engine was completely re written and has far greater capability and capacity than any of the previous ones it was made of. Vehicle Simulator has some unique and innovative features that stand out compared to other programs of its kind, here are some of them:
- Ability to see air flow visualization, allowing you to learn how to soar cleverly using the rising currents of air caused by wind, thermals cloud suction.
- Ability to design your landscape easily inside the program itself, in 3D, editing everything including the ground and vegetation upon it.
- Ability to design your vehicle out of components, and elements, position and adjust each of them, giving your vehicle unlimited functionality.
- Built-in simulation of Hang Gliders, Para gliders, Hot air balloons, dirigibles, planes, gliders, rocket planes, boats, cars, micro lights, and more.
- Ability to import scenery directly out of SRTM data and using it on the fly without the need for any additional work.
- Simulating animals of all kinds, on land air and water, and allowing creation of new ones and programming their behavior.
- Simulating weapons of all kinds allowing you to practice weapon operation for the fun of it.
- Advanced recording and playback of flights, and addition of pre recorded vehicles into an exiting one.
- The program uses fully documented file formats, and invites a hands on experiences, noting is locked away from the user, allowing third party add-ons to be easily made.
Taburet's Glacier National Park
Glacier National Park is located in the U.S. state of Montana, bordering the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia to the North and the Blackfeet Indian Reservation to the East. Glacier National Park contains two mountain ranges, sometimes referred to as the southern extension of the Canadian Rockies mountain ranges, with over 130 named lakes, more than 1,100 different species of vascular plants and hundreds of species of animals.
This is a summer - day scenery. The scenery resolution is 2 m / pix - to ensure that all users benefit from the highest frames rates as possible.
- FSX SP1 and SP2 Compatable
- 1,584 Square Miles of scenery
- $24.99, as a 911MB Download.
View the article here. [Link]
MegaSceneryEarth Releases Most of California
As we discussed in a previous episode, the folks at MegaScenery are working to release region by region photo real scenery for the entire earth, starting with the United States.
They allow you to select individual regions, usually just a few thousand square miles each, and you can pick what you want. Most areas will run $7.49. They also offer full states at a reduced price depending on the state.
Since we last talked about them, they have now released a majority of the state of California, about the top 3/4 of it, region by region. You can also get the complete state package which includes the missing bottom 1/4 of the state. The entire state package consists of 163,707 Square Miles of day and night photo realistic scenery starting at $199.
Be prepared, though, as the entire state will require you to download 101GB, GB! of data. You can also order the entire state on a USB hard drive for $308, and if you return the hard drive you will be issued an $80 credit. So if you return the hard drive the final cost will be $228.
However, the good thing is you can pick region by region of just what you want, and pay $7.49 per region. There are a total of 110 regions in the upper portion of California.
Check out the scenery here. [Link]
SimFlight 3D's 1958 Cessna 172
The 1958 Cessna 172 is a four-seat, single-engine, high-wing airplane, capable of cruising at 131 knots. Original models shipped with 0-300, 145 horsepower, 6-cylinder engines. The Skyhawk is considered the most popular flight training airplane in the world and is still being produced today. More than 35,000 aircraft have been built. Features:
- Working, highly detailed virtual cockpit GPS and localizer/glideslope
- Doors, windows and engine compartment open (check oil)
- Full 2D and 3D panels—IFR ready
- High resolution, photo-realistic textures (interior/exterior)
- Optimized for smooth frame rate
- Realistic shadows and lighting
- Includes checklist and performance information
The aircraft is for designed for use in FSX, and is coming soon! [Link]
This week we interview Jaxan and Jose from the Mach1 Design Group! [Link]
Marty: F-16 Block 52:
Brendan: PMDG MD-11 V1.20.0055 Update [Link]
Nolan: Tile Proxy [Link]
Andrew: Aerosoft F-16 Update [Link]
E-Mail - Software recommendation from George
I have been an avid flight simmer for the best part of 20 years and I am currently using FSX, and have the Xplane on my iPhone. Enjoy the podcasts and think that the show is getting better each week, which is I guess is what you would expect. The shownotes have proved to be helpful as have the experiences and 'picks' from the co-hosts Keep up the goodwork, and one site you may want to take a look at is http://www.tweakfs.com, I have most of their products most of which can be downloaded for a free trial period and find them to be very good. George also says: There will be a number of users who are skilled enough and enjoy ‘tweaking’ FSX to improve the performance or adjust the settings to suit the environment in which they are flying. These programmers can do that for you with a few clicks of the mouse. The great thing is that you can download them on a free 30 day demo to see if they suit your particular need for either FS9 or FSX.