Movie Talk: One Six Right
The Romance of Flying is an independent film about the general aviation industry as seen through a local airport. Within a short period of time, it has achieved a passionate following and presence among pilots and aviation enthusiasts worldwide who see the film as being able to communicate their passion for aviation. Concurrently, the film has garnered both local and national political attention in the United States as an accurate depiction of general aviation and its important contributions to all aviation industries worldwide.
As recommended by Danton, you can find more info on this movie in several places: Their Website Purchase DVD from Amazon.com Rent the SD or HD (Recommended!) movie, or purchase it from iTunes Also recommended from Danton is the Sprit of St. Louis!
Brendan recommends the movie Pushing Tin. A slightly more "hollywood" and less "aviation", but still a good watch! Here is the link on Wikipedia, and you can watch it for free on Hulu.com. PS, we know that likely all of the links for the movies will probably only work if you are in the US. Please don't be mad at us! :-( Share your thoughts about the movie in the forums!
Future of FS in Bing Perhaps?
An interesting Post by Danton ended up spinning off into a brainstorm session of a new "MMO" flight simulator. Be sure to listen for our ideas! What did you think? And here is the link for that "Google Maps" based ship simulator... Interesting.
Payware models and 2D Cockpits
FlightSimX.Co.Uk Becomes FlightSimDaily.com
This may seem a little sudden given I’d only just mentioned that I was thinking about moving domains, but the truth is, I’d been thinking about it on and off for over a year. The biggest reason for not moving prior to now was not being able to think of a good (hopefully!) domain name to use. I came up with FlightSimDaily for a couple of reasons. One, it removes the emphasis from Flight Simulator X to something more generically flight sim and also implies that we’re more of a Flight Sim Daily News site, which is indeed what we are. We’ve also now got a “proper” .com address, which I hope also emphasises that we’re aimed at a global audience. I’ve given everything a thorough test and everything is looking good. All old links to FlightSimX.co.uk and any sub-pages should automatically redirect to the corresponding page on FlightSimDaily.com. If you notice anything weird, please do let me know. If you’ve been kind enough to link to us, please also change your links to the new flightsimdaily.com address.
Abacus UAV Predator Released
The UAV Predator is a stealth aircraft. UAV is short for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. This state of the art aircraft is remotely controlled and takes on the multi-role tasks of quiet evesdropping and reconnaisance. Its sophisticated electronics allow it to be controlled from tens of thousands miles away. You'll fly the Predator from either the Ground Station control panel or from the spot view. Bonus for FSX users - Eight challenging missions.
X-Plane 9.40 Beta 1 & 2 Released
X-Plane 9.40 Beta 1 has been released for Windows, Mac and Linux. Here’s what’s new (it’s a big list and it’s Austin’s usual emphasis!):
- New features, mostly added for total system-realism for FAA-Certification: New elec sys modelling improvements. Now you can have up to 4 buses, and each system can draw from any of, or all of, those buses. As well, you can assign any generator and any battery to any bus. As well, each generator can have a different max amperage. This really lets you start to dial in the electrical systems really well!
- New feature in the IOS: Shut down tailwind ILS. This checkbox in the map screen lets you shut down all ILS’s that are not aligned into the wind, as is typically done in reality. This is really needed at airports like KLAX, which have ILS’s in opposite directions BUT ON THE SAME FREQUENCY! Any shut-down and failed NAVAIDs turn red so you can see that they are not operational. Kind of nice!
- New setting in Plane-Maker systems screen: Number of degrees of heading error needed for the autopilot to switch turn directions. 180 by default, 20 for the G-1000.
- New instrument: Radio alt decision-height light… A little light that goes off when you make it down to decision height.
- Oil pressure modelled a hair differently to show change in response to rpm change a hair more.
- Emergency gear extension override commands now avail… Can be assigned to any joystick button of course!
- New Plane-Maker feature: Import AIRCRAFT… This imports everything EXCEPT the panel… nice if you want multiple acf files that are the same except the panel!
- The ENGINE_VAC gages in the ENGINE ROUND folder show the suction from each engine… You can have two of these.
- The SUCTION_LO_LITE_GA instruments show the suction from each engine… You can have two of these.
- The SUCTION gage in the SUPPLEMENT folder shows the total suction of all available vacuum pumps… It shows what the instruments are GETTING, and you only want ONE of these!
- Inverter failure will fail the trq indicators now if the trq indicators are hooked up to the inverters as per the system screen in Plane-Maker.
- Click on any airport in the IOS screen… You should get airport info and the weather at the airport as well.
- New option in Plane-Maker: The altitude tracks the aircraft current altitude when the cws button is down: yes or no.
- Set your ports for listening and receiving in the net screens now.
- Oil pump failure a little more realistic… We see more gradual engine failure, with rise in oil temperature.
- A few (real) G-430 failures, useful if connected to a real Garmin-430.
- Cool new Plane: Stinson l-5.,. It is in the general aviation folder, and very nice.
Nice little features and UI tweaks:
- Glideslope plot on the IOS now shows the width of the glideslope region, and shows the marker beacons as well.. kind of nice!
- Reversed/beta/forward thrust engine-mode saved in replays.
- Better throttle response from the fadec.. closer to linear.
- 3-D cockpit will let you look around when paused now.
- Toll-spoiler logic just a hair smarter with speedbrakes: Spoilers will not extend beyond max speedbrake deployment.
- Boat-drawing rendering-option is now separated from the forest fires and balloons.
- NAVAID failure-page shows the type for each NAVAID… makes it easier to see exactly what NAVAID you are failing.
- All ’situation-movies’ are now referred to as ‘replays’ everywhere in the UI
- Engine-failure options that do not apply to the type of engine in your plane do not appear in the engine-failure list… A bit easier to spot the failures you want.
- New instruments and commands: New flight director/autopilot commands and instruments in the BUTTONS folder to turn the flight director and autopilot servos on and off.
- Commands restored: ”sim/instruments/ECAM_mode_down”, ”sim/instruments/ECAM_mode_up”
- New command that you can hook up to any key or joystick button: Marker beacon mute. It’s in the ANNUNCIATORS group.
- New annunciator: GPU connected. You can assign any joystick button to the COMMAND to connect the GPU, and when you hit it, you will see the gpu-connected light activate, and also get plenty of power to bus #1 on the airplane.
Minor tweaks and Bug-Fixes:
- Mean time between failure causes random failures when checked in the failures screen, otherwise does not!
- IOS glideslope map properly labelled as AGL, not MSL, altitudes.
- EFIS-app tweaked a hair to display both adf’s and display a few more things a hair more accurately, and let you enter initial fuel
- No blackout in external view modes ,and Cinema Verite should not respond to G-load at very low G.
- Planes with only 1 inverter switch should still drive all inverter-driven systems ok!
- Flaps deploy at the right speed now, ion all cases… they were sometimes too fast before.
- Arrow keys to scroll large 2-d panels in side-views, as is used forsome older planes, now work!
NEW STUFF: The filled autopilot annunciator now displays pitch-mistrim ‘TRM’ alert if the autopilot is unable to trim out the pitch-loads, as it is in the real plane.
Improved FDR (Flight Data Recorder) replay: We always read every line of the replay, and the propellers and rotors spin during playback of FDR files, as desired.
New button in the weight and balance screen to set to max gross weight… Kind of convenient to flight-test at gross weight every time.
Improvement in FADEC mode on recip engines to limit power more accurately for turbocharged engines.
Plane-Maker:Panel Editor: You can now specify the buses that each instrument depend on, regardless of the number of buses on the plane. Remember that you can have up to 4 buses, and each instrument can depend on any bus! The generic needle can rotate around an arbitrary location. Useful for making various types of “wiper” instruments and fuel gauges. Key frames can optionally wrap around. Use the generic pointer with wrapping and clipping to make a “tape” or “ladder”-style instrument. Instruments can be tied to more than one electrical bus. Non-generic instruments can be tied to an electrical bus too!
FIXES: Piper Malibu throttle handles should not turn gray in clouds. No stars in the water at very low reflection settings – before the reflections were pixelated and ugly. Real weather and version-checks should work. Glass instruments on bus 2 won’t turn off when bus 1 loses power. Electrical system settings for panel should import better from 930 planes.
IMPORTANT: if you have a 930 airplane you should go back to the 930 version for beta 2 – do not use the conversion for beta 1. 940 beta 1 had bugs in the airplane conversion code, so your electrical system and instrument bus settings will not have converted properly. 940 beta 2 should fix this.
Mark: FS Water Configurator (Free)
A water shader enhancement program for Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
Change how your water looks with controls such as ‘horizon reflection intensity’, ‘base texture colour saturation’, ‘moon glow intensity’, and many more…
Compatible and complimentary with all major 3rd party FSX addons.
PW Caribbean Scenery (Also Free)
PW Sceneries is pleased to announce – PW Sceneries Volume 4 – DOMINICA AND GUADELOUPE.
I am pleased to announce the release of the fourth volume in my series of FREE sceneries for Microsoft Flight Simulator X:
PW SCENERIES VOLUME 4 – DOMINICA AND GUADELOUPE
This volume covers the islands of Dominica and Guadeloupe and the surrounding islets in the eastern Caribbean. It features all-new accurate coastlines, landclass, waterclass, custom land polys, rivers, streams, roads with moving traffic, scenery objects and even wildlife!
There are eight upgraded airports in total in this scenery. All have been upgraded with AI parking and designed to be as close to their real-life counterparts as possible.
Airports Included in the Scenery:
TDCF – Canefield Int – Dominica TDPD – Melville Hall – Dominica TFFB – Ballif – Guadeloupe TFFA – Desirade – Grande Anse TFFR – La Raizet – Guadeloupe TFFS – Le Saints – Terre De Haut TFFM – Marie Galante – Grande Bourg TFFC – Saint Francois – Guadeloupe
Brendan: FlyScenery FS9 scenery
You can now fly the entire Patrouille Suisse air show program (22 Min.) in FSX in a PS Tiger F-5E II! Listen to the authentic voice of the Emmen tower controller as he issues take-off clearance and get ready to enjoy that real jet feeling. Feel the rush of pure adrenalin as you start your takeoff run as Tiger 6 together with Tiger 1 to 5 and subsequently take your place in two groups of 3 as you fly in formation over lake Zurich and on into Glarnerland. For the really courageous amongst you: take part in the spectacular "tunnel" aerobatic stunt at a speed of almost mach 1 in Tiger 6. The original GPS flight data served as basis for all of the missions. The amazing sense of reality in this unique "Patrouille Suisse" experience is heightened by the original commands spoken by the leader when changing formation or activating smoke trails! Highlights include FSX Missions, FSX Airport scenery of Emmen, and FSX PS Tiger F-5E II. FSX Missions:
- New concept for flying the entire Patrouille Suisse training session with smoke trails and formation changing according to original flight data. Original commands from the leader were also integrated.
- You are Tiger 6 and take off together with Tiger 1 to 5 in Emmen and subsequently fly in two groups of three in formation over Lake of Zurich and on to Glarnerland.
- You will train formation flying (delta and superbox) together with Patrouille Suisse.
- You'll follow the Patrouille Suisse during the entire training in Wangen-Lachen (22 minutes)The training session is based on flight data that was recorded in Wangen-Lachen in April 2005In addition you'll hear the original commands as spoken by the leader Daniel Siegenthaler (original recording made during the training session in April 2008).
- You will follow Tiger 6 during execution of the tunnel aerobatic stunt.
- You also can enjoy the entire training session (22 minutes) in Wangen-Lachen as a spectator.
The air show is commented, as always by Mario Winiger, the Patrouille Suisse speaker. F-5E Tiger II:
- Patrouille Suisse liveries during the 2005 and 2008 season.
- Two models - with and without auxiliary tanks.
- Many standard- and Tiger-specific animations.
- Animated nose wheel hydraulics for setting up the aircraft before takeoff.
- Textures according to the FSX standard with spectacular maps and self shadowing.
- Highly detailed virtual 3D cockpit with integrated traffic radar and many other functions.
- Low-polygon F-5E Tiger II as AI version.
- INS navigation system in the 2D cockpit with predefined destinations in Switzerland.
- Additional camera positions for formation flying.
- Patrouille Suisse's home base in Emmen with every hangar and a great number of details for FSX.
- Individual frequency-controlled doors-opening for hangar 6 directly from the cockpits of Tiger 1 to 6.
$100 Hamburger Reminder
And then Share your results in the forum!
Voicemail: X-Plane FPS Tuning from Ben Supnik